Wednesday, November 07, 2012

sweetcorn bread and ice cream sandwiches


Ever get the kind of craving that makes you do kinda stupid things? Like walking over an hour, covering seven grocery stores because you're hit with the most vicious longing for mint chocolate chip ice cream? Then sitting down on a park bench and dissolving into tears, because there wasn't a single tub in all the ice cream freezers within the two mile radius you just trudged on foot, while your cousin, (who's more like your sister, and sweet enough to trudge beside you when you suggest mint chocolate chip ice cream) looks at you like you've lost your mind, cos she doesn't know you're pregnant, because, heck, even you didn't know you were pregnant. 



Okay, so I'm not being hypothetical.... but you do get what I mean, yes? Of course you don't, because you, not afflicted with pregnancy brain, would have just gone, pronto, to an ice cream parlour and asked for a triple scoop *gaa-aaah* I'm now safely beyond the brain addling powers of pregnancy, though I've lately caught myself fantasising about grandbabies. Whaaaat??! 

Okay, that's another story, but I'm not yet immune to the occasional crazy food craving; this morning I was looking for ground coffee and spied the can of creamed corn again, that I had originally thought of turning into a soup. Grabbing it from the back of the cupboard, I suddenly knew what I really wanted. 



Now, have you ever had an ice cream sandwich? They're big here, as you might expect when a 29 C day is considered "cool" and November still has days warm enough to make you want ice cream. I gobbled more than I can count in my childhood, and hubs still loves them, though my boys don't get it and if they're not hooked by now, I guess they never will be. It must be a generational thing....



White bread will do in a pinch, but if you're gonna do an ice cream sandwich Singapore style right, it's got to be sweet rainbow bread, chocolate bread, or in my book (blog?), sweetcorn bread. My days of ice cream hunting, on foot may be over, but I'll still bake my own bread, just for an ice cream sandwich, they way it should be - cotton soft sweet bread, ice cream already melting into it, before the glorious, sticky, cold mess even touches my lips. Oh, yes, please! I'm wolfing mine down, lickety split, before the monsoon season descends upon us, in her full, torrential fury...





9 comments:

  1. This is pure awesomeness! I ADORE those $1 bread icecreams in Singapore - never fail to get a yummy taro one (or 2, or 3 or 4..) whenever I go! I've made sweet corn chiffon cake before, but never bread...*add to list*! hehe Thanks for sharing & Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dumpling Love, yes, yam is probably my favourite of all :) Thanks for taking the time to read and comment.

      Delete
  2. Sweetcorn bread ice cream sandwiches...wow. Sounds amazing! That bread looks to die for. I'll definitely be trying it out soon, even if the weather is reaching the low 40s (F) around here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel, thanks for your kind words. It is a lovely loaf, though I say so myself. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did :)

      Delete
  3. This must truly be a Singaporean thing as I have never had roti ice cream. I do like the idea of the yeasted sweetcorn bread. I can imagine it must be so good toasted and then spread with some butter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it is! I'm a little surprised that you haven't had it. I did think it would at least be familiar to Malaysians, if not actually loved, as it is here. Even my grandmother was a fan. Durian ice cream was her favourite :P LOL

      Yes, it is indeed quite delicious toasted and buttered, but not toasted too long or the corn kernels in the loaf will burn and that's never good...

      Delete
  4. YES! I remember having these ice cream sandwiches, or more, precisely ice cream bun sandwiches ! Loved them! Over here in Belgium, the ice cream is sandwiched between two wafers. Not as easy to eat, as you can imagine...
    Question. Is that yam-flavoured ice cream you have in pictures 2 and 3? Yam - one of my favourite flavours. Can't find them here :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, I so want one of these babies! The ice cream sandwich I mean...not the grand-babies ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness - I couldn't hold back my sigh at the thought of buttery sweet corn bread - you know just how to entice Denise. These are just beautiful and I really must make this sweet corn bread soon.

    chow! Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a name with your comment. I may not be able to respond to every comment but every recipe related question will be answered.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...